Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hi, I'm Katie....I'm unorganized....

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem....

...... Hi, I'm Katie....I am unorganized......

There I said it - I feel like I can breath a little easier just admitting my inability to sort, categories and put items into a cupboard with out shoving them in, slamming the door and running fast before they all spew to the floor.

Still I feel the need to clarify. I am not lazy, nor unproductive. I get things done....I just think I could get a LOT more done AND without stress...if I had a system. Yet, I'm stuck. I have no system to have a system. I don't know where to begin, because it's all such a huge undertaking. I get caught in the following thought process: If I could just take a week off of life (or just even work), then my basement would have beautifully labeled boxes filled with like holiday items. If the boys would sleep for just an hour longer I could fold the clothes and put them away. Maybe if I stayed up an hour later or woke up an hour earlier for the next week I could pick a room and organize it each day.....hahahahhahaha.... I'm laughing at myself just thinking about how long that would last! Can you relate?

Part of me thinks if I just throw everything away, the simpler the better - but I don't just want to throw it away - It could be donated or used at a camp or what if I need 15 glass baby jars for an art project.....

Plus when I start a project - say organizing my closet - I am easily side tracked. Some clothes will need to be cleaned before I put them in the donation box. Well as I put the laundry in the washer, I notice the shelf holding the detergent needs to be wiped down. So I take a couple minutes to wash the shelf (because I'm in stealth cleaning mode). As I come back to the sink to rinse out the dish cloth, I decided to quickly switch the dishwasher. While putting away the plates, I notice the streaky window over the sink. I wipe down the one window and decide to wipe down all the windows leading me back to the window in our closet, which low and behold I find a couple more dresses to put in the donating box.....see how my mind works...

I realize this seems crazy - it's okay, people call me crazy quite a bit so I'm use to it....but seriously.... I need help...so I've decided for Lent instead of giving something up, I'm going to organize one thing (well with my mind it'll be like three random things) each day. Small baby steps, here and there so then by the time Gauge's second birthday is here (Good Friday) I'll have an organized home to host our guests!

Today I got a jump start - Organizing My Coupons! I cut them, I print them, I usually leave them in a folder and when I think about it I'll use them - but I know I can do much better. So thanks to my friend Jami Haase and several others, I'm motivated! I also found http://bitly.com/ghPOLf to be a very helpful site as well! Below I've photographed my attempt. In theory it'll work!

I'll keep you updated on this as well as my other adventures in organizing! Do you have an organizing tip please share!!! Or need to take that first step in admitting your obstacles.... Hi, I'm Katie and I'm unorganized....now it's your turn :)

In theory:
I'll clip and print all coupons and put in sorting box. Then I can look at items for sale and match them up with coupons. Those coupons I decide to take to the store, I'll put in my smaller coupon organizer and take that to the store.

Making A Coupon Sorting Box
Coupon Sorting Box: shoe box
Dividers: Cut up old file folders
Sub Dividers: Paint Sample Cards
Date Dividers: Paper folded and taped on both sides (you could use envelopes, but I didn't have it)
Magic Marker

Divider Labels (thanks to Jami Haase!)

Dry Goods (divider)

My Shoe Box turned Coupon Sorter
    Subdividers

  • Baking & Spices
  • Breads
  • Candy
  • Canned Foods
  • Cereal & Breakfast Foods
  • Chips & Crackers
  • Coffee & Drinks
  • Condiments, Dressings & Sauces
  • Jello & Pudding
  • Rice, Pasta, Potato & Box Meals
  • Snacks
Frozen Foods (divider)

   Subdividers
  • Breads
  • Desserts & Breakfast
  • Fruit
  • Meat
  • Ready to Eat Meals
  • Veggies
Fridge (divider)

Dividers & SubDividers
Subdividers
  • Bread, Cookies & Rolls
  • Dairy
  • Dips, Premade Food
  • Fruit
  • Meat
Cleaning (divider)

   Subdividers
  • Air Supplies (candles, sprays, etc.)
  • Bathroom
  • Batteries, Trash Bags & Ziploc Bags
  • Kitchen
  • Laundry
  • SubDividers with Date Dividers
  • Paper Goods
Personal (divider)

   Subdividers
  • Contacts & Eye care
  • Deodorant
  • Female Products
  • Hair Care
  • Lotion & Body Wash
  • Make Up
  • Medicine
  • Oral Care
  • Razors
Baby/Kids (divider)
My Smaller Coupon Organizer
Made By Tawnya Stock
Subdividers
  • Diapers & Wipes
  • Food
  • Clothing & Toys
  • Supplies
Pet (divider)

Store, Restaurant, Rebates (divider)

Office (divider)

Misc. (divider)

2 comments:

  1. K8TE
    I just had to laugh reading your post today...it sums up the craziness that I thought ONLY I experienced....and that my husband was the only witness too. I am often side-tracked from my attempts as well for the same behaviors..HA! what does that say about us? Dunno...but nice to know I am not alone. Just thought I would share that there is someone else going through it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i LOVE this!!! I need to get more organized too! Ugh its so frusterating! Spring break just started...hopefully Ill get on top of things :) thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete