Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I don't buy cards. They're a waste of time. People read them for a moment and then throw them away - well most people. My mom still has Christmas cards from the 70's. Not sure if she thinks someone will one day wish they would have kept one of the cards they sent to family and friends in 1983 - but if you do, and you sent my mom a card, I bet she'll have it :)

All joking aside, I didn't buy my mom a card this year. I guess I'd rather use technology to share my thoughts since she now is finally on Facebook and understands the meaning of the words "liking", "messaging" and "posting". So I've come up with the top three things I appreciate about my mom.

1. She can justify anything... I think sometimes she calls me just so she can talk with someone to justify what she's doing....like simply telling someone else why she's doing what she's doing makes it okay.

My mom and her three grandkids -
Gunner, Gauge & Baby Emma
2. I believe she invented the pros and cons list. It doesn't matter what decision I've had to make - from choosing between dance class and basketball in the 8th grade to how I should prioritize my life as a mom - her response is always "Well have you made a pros and cons list?"

3. Her level of optimism can't be measured - it's off the charts people. She ALLLWWAAAYYS has something nice to say about something - even in the worse possible situations.

If you know my mom, you're shaking your head, smiling and laughing because you know this is her.....and I'm sure even my mom is shaking her head too....but she should know as my life continues to fill up with new adventures I find myself calling her and share why I'm giving up one event to go to another.

And if she didn't asked me for a pros and cons list, I'd be extremely disappointed, because almost thirty years of training has taught me to come prepared and ready to list each item, sharing the weight it has on the list.

No matter what decision I go with, I know she'll be sitting next to me with the oddest looking rose colored glasses  ....and I can't imagine my life any other way. Love you Mom today and every day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment