Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas at the Eisenberger's

Only a handful of Christmas cards were mailed yesterday....after the pick up time so you probably won't receive them until after Christmas. 

We've enjoyed homemade goodies from neighbors and friends, but I haven't made one batch of puppy chow, monster cookies or popcorn cakes. Thankfully, no one expects me to bring some amazing dish to pass....I'm known for my veggie tray ($10 out the door at Sam's Club) and you know what- it's usually empty by the end of the parties.

My house hasn't been cleaned since....well if I can't remember the last time I mopped than it's been too long since it was cleaned. Hopefully Santa doesn't judge....nor should you expect me to invite you in if you do drop off goodies, because you will stand on the porch as I strategically half peer out the door blocking your view into the mail and school papers piled high on the dining room table. don't feel as bad doing this since it is 50 out. 

Oh and the elf....he hasn't moved for four nights. He's currently tangled in garland and I assume he's not up for navigating in the wind so he stays warmly nestled among the decor. I'm probably more excited of his adventure home than Santa's arrival. 

I spent hours trying to coordinated our Christmas attire and I'm already planning on having a "discussion" with the oldest because he won't want to wear what I have out for him....and you'd think Mae would be the easiest but I'm just preparing myself for the ultimate Christmas blow out just minutes after I've dressed her in the perfect red, white & green ruffly girlie outfit, that can really only be worn on Christmas and was way more than any one time baby outfit should be....

There's a lot of pressure to be in the holiday spirit, have the perfect decorations, be a grand hostess, attend parties looking all put together...the reality is, I'm over it and it hasn't even begun. 

So today I'm shutting off the phone, closing the doors to all the messy bedrooms in our house, putting up the nativity set that hasn't seen the light of day since last February when I finally took down all our decorations from Christmas  2014....and I'm just going to let whatever be, be. 

I hope you're able to do the same...and if you need permission to do so....I give you permission to go buy a store bought pie after your attempts burn. I promise the kiddos will love your gifts even if your wrapping consists of newspaper and a roll of duct tape. The clothes you haven't had time to fold, throw em in a closet and shut the door. I'm sure they'll be there Sunday...unless you receive a coupon gift for folded clothes - cash that baby in ASAP!! Oh and the Christmas cards you didn't get out....no worries! Post a pic of your super cute family on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

And if you need some extra prayers...I woke up this morning praying for extra patience, forgiveness for all the yelling I have been doing lately, and asking for extra grace for myself and all the parents just wanting to make Christmas magical for their children....


Yet, God reminded me- like He so often does- that He made this magical holiday for each of us through the birth of Jesus....tonight many years ago a very pregnant Mary and Joseph traveled to take part in the census. They ended up in a stable where the only "people" to judge their clothing attire were livestock. And in a barn, Jesus Christ, our savior, was born.  God gave us the perfect present....a relationship with Him through Jesus. Not sure how I'd ever top that....so here's to less arguing and more laughter, less distance and more hugs, less stress and more enjoyment. 

And if Jesus' birth was celebrated in a barn, opening gifts tomorrow morning on carpet that hasn't been vacuumed in a week (or two!) will be totally acceptable. 

Merry Christmas from our family to yours.  
Love, 
Jesse, Katie, Gunner, Gauge & Mae


5 comments: